The curriculum is made up of the DP core and six subject groups.
Made up of the three required components, the DP core aims to broaden students’ educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills. The three core elements are:
- Theory of knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, activity, service, in which students complete a project related to those three concepts.
The six subject groups are:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts.
There are different courses within each subject group. Usually:
- three of the six subjects are studied at higher level (HL) - courses representing 240 teaching hours;
- the remaining three subjects are studied at standard level (SL) - courses representing 150 teaching hours.
In Colégio Mira Rio, students can choose from the following:
Studies in language and literature group
Language acquisition group
- English B HL / SL
Individuals and societies group
The arts group